Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- The submission must critically address an issue relevant to nursing. It must involve a critical argument rather than be merely descriptive.
- COVER LETTER -- Authors are requested to provide a cover letter indicating the general area of scholarship covered, it's explicit fit with the intent and scope of the journal and its significance. Very importantly, your cover letter must indicate if any conflicts of interest exist, authorship requirements and how met, sources of funding, availability of data set and where stored, and awareness that the manuscript shall be vetted through ithenticate.
Please ensure that you have anonymized your submission, including attention to possible names listed in the properties of your documents.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST STATEMENT
The journal requires that all authors disclose any potential sources of conflict of interest. Any interest or relationship, financial or otherwise that might be perceived as influencing an author's objectivity is considered a potential source of conflict of interest. These must be disclosed when directly relevant or directly related to the work that the authors describe in their manuscript. Potential sources of conflict of interest include, but are not limited to: patent or stock ownership, membership of a company board of directors, membership of an advisory board or committee for a company, and consultancy for or receipt of speaker's fees from a company. Authors must note this in their cover letter, and when prompted each author must fill out and provide an authorship letter.
ETHICAL AUTHORSHIP GUIDELINES: All potential authors shall indicate in the submission's cover letter that they have reviewed the following guideline regarding authorship: (http://www.icmje.org/recommendations/browse/roles-and-responsibilities/defining-the-role-of-authors-and-contributors.html ) Further, when submitting the paper all authors must agree on the final version of the paper and must have contributed by substantial contributions to the conception, design, data collection, analysis and interpretation of data or to revising it critically for important intellectual content.
Each person listed as an author is expected to have participated in the preparation of the manuscript to a significant extent. The standards of the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing, and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals (http://www.icmje.org/recommendations/) guides our requirements. That is, Witness requires that all authors must meet these 4 criteria:
1. Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; AND
2. Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content; AND
3. Final approval of the version to be published; AND
4. Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
NOTE: Individuals who have contributed to the manuscript in some way, but who do not meet all of these 4 criteria, should be noted in the acknowledgements, along with a brief description of their contribution to the work.
You may be asked by the editor to provide evidence of author contributions. Non-adherence to ethics associated with authorship may result in a full decline of the manuscript.
- A statement regarding ethical permissions (or the reason why these were not needed) is included before the reference section in the manuscript.
- All necessary permission from copyright holders for reproducing any illustrations, tables, figures or lengthy quotations previously published elsewhere have been obtained. The submission abides by the academic integrity standards of York University.
- REB- A copy of ethics approval from the relevant university's REB is compulsory and must be submitted WITH the manuscript at the time of submission. Submit under "other" -
HUMAN PARTICIPANTS: If your article is based on a project in which there were human participants, you must indicate in your text the a) APPROVALS in place; and b) PROCEDURES used to assure ethical conduct related to your participants.
FULL AUTHOR BIOS REQUIRED AT SUBMISSION
Please ensure you have entered a full author bio into the meta data section at submission. If you are submitting for a team, please get an approved brief bio from all authors. Ensure they are all registered with the journal also.
- The submission does not exceed 6000 words in total length (including the bibliography, footnotes, figures, tables, diagrams, and illustrations).
- A 100-150-word abstract, summarizing the main arguments and themes of the article, the methods, conclusions and emerging questions and/or implications, is included.
- A list of 5 keywords (maximum) is included after the abstract.
- The submission file is in Microsoft Word file format with numbered pages.
APA and EDITING
Authors must ensure that they have formatted their submission in congruence with the most recent APA guidelines. Further, authors must ensure that they have done a fulsome edit of their submission, attending to format, spelling, typos, clarity and strength of articulation. Failure to do so may result in a rejection of the manuscript.
- Where available, URLs for the references have been provided.
- STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP - Undergraduate student submissions must be accompanied by a nomination letter from their supporting faculty member indicating the merits, contribution and fit with the journal's scope and focus. This is to be submitted as a separate document. Masters and PhD students may also secure a nomination letter, although this is not necessary.
- The Submission complies with scholarly guidelines regarding non-plagiarism including non self-plagiarism. It is the submitting author's express responsibility to ensure these requirements are met.
- REFERENCES - All references cited in the body of the manuscript MUST be included in the reference list. Only items sourced shall be included in the reference list - no additional items are to be included.
- PERMISSIONS- authors are required to obtain permissions at the time of submission to Witness for sources used/quoted - please see this specific section for further guidance.
- BIOS, FULL AUTHOR INFO, REFERENCES - must be entered correctly in the meta data at the time of submission
Letter to the Editor
Letters to the Editor shall be screened for relevance, fit, and professionalism. A decision shall be made regarding their suitedness to the journal in a discussion between the editor and associate editors. The decision shall stand.
Prospective authors are invited to connect with the editor prior to submission. Arts-based submissions must be accompanied by a scholarly explanation of the work.
Undergraduate Nursing Student Scholarship
Under Graduate Nursing Students are invited to submit to the journal, provided an accompanying faculty nomination of the merits and fit of the work is included. UG students are encouraged to work with a faculty member to shape their submission and to respond to potential revision requests. We want to see you suceed!!
Authors wishing to submit a manuscript to Witness that is not related to a current Special Issue focus, are asked to submit to the 'open' section.
Witness publishes under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license (CC BY-NC 4.0). Read the license terms at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/. The author(s) retain copyright to their works.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.
Les noms et adresses e-mail saisies dans ce site de la revue seront utilisés exclusivement aux fins énoncées de ce journal et ne seront pas mises à disposition pour toute autre fin ou de toute autre partie.